[caution: technically, downloading magazines or books illegally is stealing from big, fat corporate farts ... or authors]
ipad is really great … for reading. and although big media co.s & magazines are killing themselves to come up with fancy apps … for reading their content (which is already available for free on the web) … there’s nothing like being able to see – a full page magazine like national geographic, sports illustrated, playboy, car and driver or rolling stone. in all of their glory, with full page pictures and text on all of that 10 inch display in your hand. ipad seems to have been designed exactly for that purpose.
so, how to download most popular magazines / books for free and transfer them onto your ipad … even when on the go, not connected to your computer?
[shocker ... for this "how to" you won't even need to jailbreak your ipad! but if want to have "properly" cracked books on your iBooks app, with covers & re-sizable text & notes ... jailbreaking is required]
what you need is a good pdf viewer. we recommend one of the best iPad apps:
- goodReader – $1 (yes, you can find it for free, but don’t) – this app will allow you to: view pdf magazines & books, transfer them from your computer wirelessly or download them on the go, and open in another pdf reader, like iBooks.
* so, now – where do i find free popular magazines / books? *
1) you can SEARCH for them on filesTubes or torrent sites under “e-books”:
just use the name of the magazine + “pdf”. e.g. “car and driver pdf” ->
name of a book + “epub” or “pdf”. e.g. “DaVinci Code pdf” [see below, for more on free eBooks]
2) here’s list of few, good WEBSITES that list popular magazines and ebooks as they get released:
thepiratebay.org (torrent / e-books) | magazinesDownload.com | storeMags.com (nice layout, NSFW (most porn) – if you can’t download a link, just copy the name of the file & search via fileTubes) |
* how to download pdf mags or books … while on the go? *
another great asset of GoodReader is the ability of download books & magazines on the go: … [instructions coming soon]
* how to get paid, popular books for iBook app … for free *
yes, you can actually download popular paid books … for free. but, they are not easy to find (lots of them have been removed from rapidshare)
1) you will need to jailbreak & install AppSync for this one
2) SEARCH fileTubes or bittorrent sites – name of the book + “epub” (e.g. “the lost symbol epub” – [unfortunately they are difficult to find, so looking for a book name + "pdf" is much easier]
- gxiso.com – amazing collection of 100+ books [stephen king, Rich Dad Poor Dad, etc]
but … all of those books have been removed from rapidshare … we were able to find them but, PLEASE DONATE IF YOU LIKE THIS POST! a lot of time goes into finding those …. here’s part 1 as a sample (all books in 6-3-10.rar from gxiso webiste) – once donations will flow in, we will post all of those books here … as one file. thx
- thePirateBay.org (books) / most downloaded (mags & tech books mostly)
- (legit books) epubbud.com | epubbooks.com | project gutenberg
- other interesting links: Amazon.com: 50 Books You MUST Read Before You Die
4) finally, you can convert pdf books into epub format, but it’s a pain
** ohh, once you have the epub file … just drag int to iTunes & sync **
[ note to big corporations, media outlets & publishers ]
- stop trying to fingure out how to protect your precious content
- stop wasting time & resources trying to develop apps which display the content of your magazines in a fancy way (like wired magazine)
1) in today’s information overload, your content becomes outdated in a week if not days. especially that is available for FREE on the web
2) we consumers / readers don’t really care about fancy videos & animations in digital magazines … we want to READ them & see pictures. and with wired’s magazine rediculous size of 500mb … equal to 1.5h decent quality movie, no one will be able to fit more then 2-3 of those mag “apps” on their digital devices (yes, ipad tablet alternatives will start poping out soon like mashroooms … all “requiring” another version of your fancy app)
scan them as pdfs & sell them for 1/2 price of the newsstand edition!
- don’t bother protecting them via DRM, passwords, etc (just take a look how badly RIAA & MPAA lost that battle).
- each magazine will be about 50mb in size and will be readable by ALL digital devices available in the world today …
- & for $3-5 per magazines more consumers will opt to buy instead of downloading them illegally … i would